Types of Food Packaging – Materials & Future Technologies
Posted August 8, 2023
Packaging is a must part of every product manufacturing and sales. So, the use of food packaging is something you need to keep in mind as a manufacturer. At the same time, you use food boxes as a provider or a wholesaler. So, knowing new trends, types, and uses of food boxes can make you more informed. You will learn about what food packaging is in the modern days and how new technologies will change it. This guide is aimed to give you a complete understanding of food packaging types, trends, uses, and.
Your business needs to adopt the trends that will change the industry forever and bring better solutions your way.
Which Food Boxes Are The Best?
When it comes to the type of food packages you can use for your clients or your own business, you can find the following:
- Flexible packaging
- Biodegradable boxes
- Blister packs
- Foil wrappers
- Styrofoam containers
- Tetra pack
- Baskets and trays
- Clamshell containers
- Paperboard boxes
- Glass jars and bottles
These packaging methods impact the products you create for your business or your clients. In the next section, you will learn why food product packaging is essential and what types work best for your clients and customers.
Paperboard Material Boxes
This material is a common practice, and it exists for a reason. Here is a list of pros you get when you use this one for your boxes:
- Using this one allows you to reduce your negative impact on the environment. It is a renewable material that comes from wood pulp.
- At the same time, it is an excellent material for consumers that allows you to help your clients and customers have a better impression and use.
- Also, it offers better recyclability results as they are readily accepted in such programs. So, the resources available for recycling this material are easily available.
- You do not have to spend much money on transportation, which means you can store and use them with fewer bucks spent.
- Their level of sturdiness is also good, which makes them a good choice for packaging needs. At the same time, they are easy to prepare for specific packaging needs.
- Its barrier qualities allow you to get the best out of its properties by ensuring it offers the best. You can use it for resistance against moisture, light, and other factors.
Some Cons of Paperboard
- Paperboard may not resist moisture, light, and oxygen.
- Also, it may not be as good as other materials regarding the strength you can get with them.
- At the same time, it may not offer the heat resistance other materials may bring.
- Boxes made from this material may lose shape, which can be an issue for packaging.
Now, using flexible packaging is quite common, making your life easier as a manufacturer. You can use flexible packaging for food items in multiple industries. The basic definition of this type is that it conforms to your product’s shape.
When it comes to the materials you can use for creating this packaging type, you can find a long list, like:
- Aluminum foil can help you with better moisture, oxygen, and light barrier properties. Also, this material can help keep your food safer against any loss of flavor or freshness.
- You can try using other materials in combination with paper. This way, you get better printability and rigidity for your packaging.
- Also, you get a better shelf life when you use this type. It allows you to keep it safe against oxidation, microbial attacks, and spoilage.
- At the same time, this type ensures you can easily handle and port products from one place to another.
- Low storage, transportation, and material costs help you keep things cost-effective.
Now, cans are an excellent method to pack your food products as they offer multiple pros you need for such products. Using them and the materials they come from can help improve the results you get for your products. At the same time, you can offer such packaging for your clients looking to get better sales.
Here are some pros to know:
Pros of Can Boxes
- Cans come from different materials, but multiple pros still go with all of these.
- Your can boxes also offer better shelf life due to their sealing properties against external contaminants and other factors.
- These boxes can help you save your foods from external odors and flavors that keep the products safe for longer.
- Also, cans can stay safe where heat and frost can damage other packaging materials.
- You can use these if your customers are cautious about how much food they consume in a certain period. This way, you allow your customers to know exactly the product they consume.
- Using cans can also protect food from pests and insects, making things easy.
- The materials in these boxes are pretty good when looking for good product durability.
Cons of Can Packaging
- Cans may not be available in all the sizes and shapes we need for food packaging, which limits them.
- Transporting and storing them can be costly, so you must spend more on these processes.
- Steel cans can rust, which means your product protection can be compromised if that happens.
- Metal cans have a risk of Bisphenol production, which can harm consumers’ health.
- Also, your customers cannot use these materials in a microwave oven.
- You do not allow your customers to see through your packaging into the product. This means people will not get to see the products and may not be that attracted to them.
- Also, they can be easily dented and damaged, leading to product integrity issues.
Flexible Packaging Examples
When it comes to examples of packaging in the flexible department, you can find the following:
Pros of Flexible Materials
- You can find pouches that work for multiple food products.
- Try using bags of different types for your food products.
- Also, the use of wrappers for your food products would work well. You can try using it for chocolates, candies, and similar products.
- Using laminated structures can make your work easier and help you get the best product strength.
Cons of Flexible Packaging
When it comes to the use of flexible packaging, you may find limited rigidity in them. At the same time, they may be less appealing to the eyes when compared with rigid packaging boxes. Moreover, they may easily be punctured, making them less preferable.
At the same time, they tend to be used only once, and using them for a second time may not be a norm. This way, they could be a more sustainable method for packaging products. Also, their recycling can be challenging due to the complexity of the material in one product.
Glass Packaging For Food Products
Using glass packaging for your food products can make many changes, offering many benefits you can rely on. Here are some benefits of using this material for your food products:
- It is one of the few materials that offer you recyclability, which makes it worth more.
- Using this material for making new products is easy and offers versatility in this department.
- Also, it offers heat resistance, allowing you to avoid any issues when you pack hot food products.
- At the same time, your clients will consider your packaging high-quality when using this material.
- This material allows you to avoid interacting with your food with the packaging.
- At the same time, it provides barrier properties against issues like color, texture, and taste loss.
Cons Of Using Glass For Food Packaging
There is a list of cons of using glass for packaging, and that is why you need to find them out to ensure quality:
- The breakage of this material can be a big issue. During the storage or transport of glass, breakage is a common issue, so it is a con. This fact also makes transportation, storage, and other processes difficult.
- Also, the transportation cost of this material can be higher than other materials. This way, you may have to spend more on food packaging with glass in the form of fuel consumption.
- This material would also take more energy during production, which can lead to the emission of greenhouse gases. The same goes for recycling the material, as it can produce too much greenhouse gas.
- Glass also does not have the same level of insulation compared to other materials. So, glass material can cause a loss of freshness due to temperature changes.
Packaging Boxes For Food Items
Now that we know the materials that can be used for food products, we will discuss the items that can work for the purpose:
Using corrugated boxes is a good choice for creating food packages for your clients. They offer you these:
- They offer customizability that lets you get the best out of your boxes. You can add printed images, styles, shapes, and other elements just as you like.
- You get a million branding opportunities when you use this material. You can easily use logos, graphics, and brand images to stay consistent on all branding and marketing channels.
Using these boxes makes your product presentation unique as you get better looks. This will make your food products more visually appealing and delicious. Also, they can protect your food products against any damage during the transit of your products. Your customers can reuse these boxes as they are more durable.
This way, you allow your customers to reuse your boxes multiple times for any needs, including for the products you packed in. At the same time, you can make your product and brand stand out when you use these boxes.
Now, using cartons for your food products may be great for many. They offer multiple benefits that ensure you get the most out of them for your products.
- The customizability of your food box packaging dramatically impacts your business and brands. So, using these boxes can ensure better results as you can add multiple components and elements. For instance, it allows you to add windows, information, and attractive designs.
- They give your customers fantastic convenience, ensuring you get the best out of your packaging.
- These boxes also offer you tamper-evident packaging.
Using these boxes ensures you let your customers find out about your products without them having to open them. This way, you can boost the sales of your food products with the help of your boxes. Also, you let your customers examine and see if the product is acceptable to eat or not. For example, they see how good your pancakes look and how delicious they appear.
Using these boxes for branding is also easy, as you can add messages you want to add to your boxes with them. In addition, you can enhance your boxes’ beauty and use them to show your brand elements.
Trendy Food Packaging Designs
Your designs for food packaging play an essential role in the volume of sales you get. So, if you want to plan something unique and new for your clients, here are some designs you must try. They are trendy, and you can use them for multiple food items in the business. This section will tell you about why is food packaging important and why you need to improve your food packaging designs.
Handcrafted and Artisanal Look
You can try multiple types of handcrafted looks for your boxes, as they can make your food items look special. Try using natural and rustic materials to make things authentic. This way, you allow your packages to carry a tactile experience and evoke organic and raw feelings for your food items. Also, you can try out hand-drawn illustration looks for your food items.
This way, you can add delicate linework, intricate details, and other note-worthy design elements to make your boxes stand out. At the same time, hand-written typographies can ensure a beautiful and whimsical style for your customers. Adding these elements works well if you want something to look super-unique.
Also, you can use vintage-inspired elements that make your boxes look super. Using imperfections in your typography can also make a huge impact, and you can add these to your packaging designs. You can also use them to tell your brand’s story, which would help your packages get a fantastic feeling for your boxes.
At the same time, you can make your designs uncluttered and minimalist to get a unique feel.
These designs work well, so adding them can help you get results. There are subcategories of these that ensure you get perfection with these. Here is what you need to know about illustrative storytelling:
- If you want your brand to stand out, you need to appeal to your audience with the help of illustrations visually. You can try to use storytelling to ensure your boxes look unique with these illustrations. In addition, using stories that help customers learn about your brand can enhance your image.
- At the same time, you can illustrate your brand’s unique values.
- Using this method to showcase the ingredients you include in your products can be a great way to depict things.
- Whatever you do, ensure you evoke emotions in your customers for better responses.
Your clients always look for newness in your designs, and you must ensure you deliver that. So, the use of the following effects in the interactive reveal section can make a good impact:
- You can try using tear-off tabs that would allow you to get the best out of your product designs. This way, you ensure customers show more interest, and their attention stays there.
- Also, you can try peel-away stickers or labels to allow a better interactive feeling for your boxes. Try using recipes, nutritional information, and serving suggestions under the peel of your stickers or labels. Adding something new to your food product box design will be great.
- At the same time, using hidden compartments for your boxes can make things super-surprising. Try to offer samples, recipe cards, or accessories in these remote parts of your packages.
- Try out fold-out panels that ensure your boxes look unique with a tint of newness. These panels would also work well if you added promotions to these panels. This way, you create a reason for your customers to pay attention to your boxes.
Gradient and Ombre Effects
The use of these effects can make your food packaging super special. You can try adding two or more colors to your packaging and create a transition for your boxes. This effect lets you add perfect, eye-catching visual appeal for your clients and customers.
Using this effect allows you to make a color variation in your packages. At the same time, you make your boxes stand out when you use gradient colors.
Future Technology Trends In Food Packaging
The future of food packaging will see many innovations and technologies. There is a vast number of technologies that will change the way people think about this packaging type.
Nano Technology And Food Boxes
Nanotechnology is one of the top methods to preserve your food items from rotting and other issues. So, here are some pros of using nanotechnology and how it can change the world of packaging:
- It allows your food items to carry a better barrier against moisture, oxygen, and other similar issues.
- In the future, companies will rely on the antimicrobial properties of nanotechnology. This way, they can avoid any microbial activity in your food products.
- Researchers have found ways to use this technology to get antimicrobial coatings. These coatings can help improve the shelf life of food items.
- At the same time, research is being done to find results with silver nanoparticles for the antimicrobial properties of your packaging.
The use of antimicrobial boxes can help improve results in shelf life. In addition, researchers have found that using essential oils, plant extracts, and peptides can help improve the shelf life of food products.
This technology is already in the market, and there is also advancement that will change a lot. So, what does this type of packaging do, and how can it impact your food packages? Here is what you should know:
- Sensor technology is one way to do active monitoring for your food products. So, it allows you to find out different aspects of your packaging to ensure you monitor your products best.
- Also, you can access data from your boxes straight into your monitoring device. This way, you can monitor different parameters and ensure it helps you learn about food items in packaging.
- At the same time, you can set alarms that go off when your food product reaches a certain level of freshness or other parameters.
- Moreover, you can try intervention and corrective action technology to get the best conditions. For instance, if the temperature falls too low during delivery, you can intervene by increasing the temperature of your packaging.
Now, edible packaging technologies will also impact the food industry. So, here are some things that will impact this field with some fantastic results:
These films come from proteins, starches, and similar materials. You can use them to wrap food products and remove the need for additional packaging. At the same time, they can help protect against oxygen, contamination, and moisture.
Also, you can find coatings that work well when adding them to your food products. This way, you also make sure your food products look more enhanced in looks.
Edible pouches allow you to avoid any extra packaging. Also, they will dissolve in water without any need for waste creation.
Edible Cups And Bowls:
You can consume these materials alongside your food. This way, you will not need any disposable containers for your products.
When you consume a beverage, using these straws would allow you to eat them alongside. This way, you do not have to throw them away and can avoid creating extra waste.
Packaging Your Boxes To Success
Packaging Hub loves to serve its customers with the most sales-boosting boxes. Your food products need a solution that ensures your packaging helps your clients and customers. We are making your packages super impressive with natural beauty and the most advanced technologies to help out.
We can make your boxes stand out and ensure you do not worry about creativity and convenience in your food packaging solutions.